Here are Ten Crucial Rules for Wearing & Caring for Your Retainer.
1. Wear your retainers as instructed. You invested your time and money into straightening your teeth. Let’s keep them that way!
2. Take your retainers out when eating… and always store your retainers in their case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunchrooms or restaurants.)
3. Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. Efferdent or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used, but do not take the place of brushing.
4. When retainers are not in your mouth they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them!
5. Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to them faster.
6. Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken call us immediately.
7. If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
8. Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
9. Retainer replacement is expensive… with proper care they will last for years!
10. Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.